Subject: Re: How does a ELF system find libs at runtime?
To: None <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/1999 12:49:43
> Apart from above packages I was very surprised that all others
> I tried build and installed pretty flawlessly. But there seems
> something magic about ELF/pmax I did not understand yet:
>
> How does the system determine where to look for libs at runtime?

Most ELF systems use compiled-in paths to libraries, as supplied
at link time through "-rpath" or "-R" options to the linker (I
can't remember offhand which one NetBSD uses).  Thus, ldconfig is
not used, and the contents of /etc/ld.so.conf also does not
matter.

Yes, this means that if you move your libraries and make them
unavailable via the old name you have to fix your binaries.  Some
systems have separate programs to "re-point" the library paths to
the right target; so far NetBSD is not among those systems.

Regards,

- H=E5vard