Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc (fwd)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/29/1998 09:33:48
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: > > What is [libperl] good for?
: > Anything that embeds perl into itself. The apache mod_perl module, for
: > example.
:
: Shouldn't this be part of the perl pkg, instaed of another pkg?

Normally, perl builds a static libperl, and then links that into the `perl'
binary.

I didn't change the main perl pkg to use a shared libperl because of very
serious performance degradation considerations, which in benchmarks show a
marked performance hit in the startup overhead of perl.

I didn't add build magic to the main perl pkg to build a shared object
libperl `also' because that would be a pain in the ass to do with perl's
build structure, in addition to the big chunk o' disk space the extra
libperl can take up.