Subject: Re: Package Paths Proposal v3
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/1998 09:55:24
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> If the update later needs to
> be backed out, the admin can run "uninstall_files" .ch1234 to back out
> the changes (as far as that is possible).

Well, if we're going to have a program do the uninstall (an idea
I quite like, BTW), the issue of suffixes can go away. Instead,
the program just secrets the file away somewhere (/usr/pkgdb/uninstall?)
along with its mode, date, what package replaced it, etc., and the
uninstalling program can give the option of rolling back to the
uninstalled version of any particular date.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org