Subject: RE: some packages don't work well with MANZ unset...
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com, tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <acrooks@unixltd.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/24/1998 09:52:21
[Apologies for this M$ mailer.]

> This is _really_ shoddy, gang.  "Undefined" and "empty" should mean
the
> same thing, unless you can give a working, concrete example as to why
> they should not.  This means that we should be using ".if !empty(VAR)"
> and not ".ifdef(VAR)".

I disagree completely with your statement that this is shoddy. My view
is that
you assumed too much.

Perhaps the language that I put in the example mk.conf could have been
better,
but I do remember taking a lot of time over my choice of words. Most
people who
know me consider me to be a pedant, especially with the English
language.

Almost all computer languages I can think of, and most spoken languages
as
well, have different meanings:

In C, char *ptr = NULL; is VERY different from char *ptr2 = "";

Or take English, for example. Existence of a book is one thing. Whether
that book
contains any written words/ideas/clues is another, completely different
thing.