Subject: Removal of Edited Config Files
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/18/1998 18:22:26
On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Pkg_add *did* add them, and it must do something about them when the
> package is deleted.

I disagree. If I pkg_add bind8 and then edit /etc/named.conf, that's
no longer the file that pkg_add added. It's now a file that contains
unique (and possibly not replicated) information that I put on to
the system. pkg_delete should not be deleting these things, because,
unlike all of the other files deleted, there's no way for the
package system to get that information back should you decide you
made the wrong decision when deleting that package.

Note that this is how the package system works right now; pkg_delete
will not remove a file if the MD5 of it does not match the MD5 the
file originally installed had.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.