Subject: Re: Package Paths Proposal v2
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/17/1998 17:26:58
  [changing all pkgs to uses non-absolute paths]

: > Then use pkgsrc.  And please stop asking unless you plan to fix all the
: > sources yourself.
:
: I do.  That's not the point.  The design of the pkg system should take
: into account that packages eventually *should* be fixed.

Greg, I will betray my exasperated sense of tact this one time (and my
apologies to Perry for doing so).  This may be my sole opinion as presented
in this particular message, but it has been echoed to me in private mail,
hence the [we]'s.

I [we] don't have time to argue about relatively large endeavors to which I
[we] have no time or resources to devote.  Volunteer if you wish, but I [we]
do not care.  Software has worked this way for ages.  Given the growth rate
of the pkg system, I [we] shall not jump through hoops to make a
continuously updated and expanding base of third party source code look for
a non-absolute path to /usr/pkg or wherever the install point is.

Finally, this has been discussed at great length.  If you really feel it's
that easy to do despite our own research to the contrary, make a proposal
with real technical detail, or QUIT RANTING and do something about it.

[Some listmembers may remember giving me a similar speech a while back....]