Subject: Re: Package Paths Proposal v2
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/17/1998 17:07:42
[ On Thu, December 17, 1998 at 08:25:15 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Package Paths Proposal v2
>
> So you're backing out on your earlier argument and you want the shareability
> again.

Shareability isn't of prime importance to me.  No matter which way you
go, it's not all that difficult to arrange for sharing after the fact.
People will do this in whatever way they want anyway, regardless of how
much support or lack thereof there is in the pkg system.  Working too
hard to try and fit sharing into the "NetBSD way of doing things" will
likely just cause all your efforts to be ignored by shops that run a
whole mess of things.  Besides there's already been a lot of research
into how best to distribute applications over a network, and what I've
seen proposed so far for the NetBSD pkg stuff doesn't seem to have
benefitted much from any of that research yet....

--
							Greg A. Woods