Subject: Re: Package Paths Proposal v2
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/16/1998 15:34:16
[ On Wed, December 16, 1998 at 09:53:25 (-0800), Curt Sampson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Package Paths Proposal v2
>
> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
>
> > : How do you get the package configuration, score, spool, etc. files out
> > : of /var and /etc as the proposal stands now?
> >
> > I *don't*.  These should not move regardless of installation location of the
> > binaries.  (See v2-edit's note about "NOT in $PREFIX/var...")
>
> Ok. This, to my mind, blows requirement three, since you're now
> given no way to separate the stuff the package system installs in
> etc and var from the /etc and /var directories, but if you don't
> have a problem with this, I don't either.

I'm not opposed to making it trivial to share $PREFIX, though I would
like to have an option that puts things in $PREFIX/etc and possibly even
in $PREFIX/var too for those cases where I want to have different
versions of the same packages installed on the same machine (though not
necessarily all installed using pkg_add, I mean a "system" version, a
hand-crafted version, and a "pkg" version).

> Here are my current thoughts on how to install /etc and /var files:
>
> 1. The package, when compiled, always looks in /etc and /var for
> the files appropriate to those directories.

I'd like there to be a switch here to permit $PREFIX/etc and/or
$PREFIX/var as the place to look.

> 2. Packages are set up to place `fresh' or `example' etc and var
> files in /usr/pkg/share/examples/<pkgname>/{etc|var}. Nothing is
> placed in /etc or /var.

Is it possible to rename these files to <config>.old when a pkg_add
simply "upgrades" a package too?

> 3. For every file in /usr/pkg/share/examples/<pkgname>/etc, pkg_add
> checks to see if the file exists in /etc. If not, it copies it
> there. If one is there, pkg_add prints a note to say that this file
> has possibly been upgraded, and should be checked. pkg_add does
> the same for var.
>
> 4. pkg_add has an option which does just step 3 for installed
> packages. (This is how one installs the /etc and /var stuff on a
> machine that's sharing /usr/pkg with other machines.)
>
> 5. pkg_delete, when run, does not remove /usr/pkg/share/examples/<pkgname>,
> but instead renames it to <pkgname>.old. This is so that one can
> diff the files after uninstalling one version and installing a new one.

Does pkg_delete remove the /etc (or $PREFIX/etc) files associcated with
a package too?  (I think it should.)

--
							Greg A. Woods