Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/11/1998 14:20:17
[ On Fri, December 11, 1998 at 09:36:10 (-0800), David Brownlee wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
>
> 	If pkgsrc were modified to have:
> 		name			default
> 		PREFIX			/usr/pkg
> 		CONF_PREFIX		${PREFIX}/etc
> 		HOST_CONF_PREFIX	/etc
> 		VAR_PREFIX		/var
>
> 	this would appear to solve the problems for from-source builders.
> 	They tweak the defines appropriately and then every package
> 	installs in the way they prefer.

Yes, this would indeed solve the problem, but I thing, as you say, it's
more work than necessary, esp. since the status quo is almost sufficient
for most needs, and certainly should be sufficient for the largest
single segment of users.

I'd like to see /var/pkg used though, as that's the last step necessary
to make it possible for every non-default configuration to be achieved
through simple use of single directory symlinks (i.e. no symlink farms
are necessary to move /usr/pkg/etc to /etc/pkg, or to move /var/pkg to
/usr/pkg/var).

--
							Greg A. Woods