Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/11/1998 09:01:49
On 11-Dec-98 Manuel Bouyer spoke unto us all:
#  That's not a good argument. Having to install a package on every machine is
#  a pain.
#  What I do here for our student room is that I set up properly a machine
#  and then use rdist - this allows me to do even binary upgrades very easily,
#  and I have a centralised base for all these ~30 machines.
#  The result is that /usr/pkg is not shared, but it looks like it was.

I highly disagree.  I nfs mount all of /usr/pkg on all 6-7 of my i386 boxes
here.. and have never had a problem.  In fact the only difficult thing was
setting up ssh.  And I did that quite easily by doing a make install on each
host.  The bins were allready built, so it just reinstalled them, and did the
/etc magic for me.  I have absolutely no problems with sharing /usr/pkg in this
manner..  have no real desire to see scorefiles and configs shared (I *want*
each host to be different, they *do* different things).  If I wanted them
shared, I know how to use ln,  I dont need the pkg system forcing it down my
throat.

Just my two cents.

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net