Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: Computo Ergo Checksum <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/11/1998 22:59:47
>  * _must_ everything be installed under /usr/pkg ?
>
> You mustn't, necessarily.  Use /etc/mk.conf to define LOCALBASE

Sorry for not making myself clear.  I was refering to
${LOCALBASE}/etc the argument that folk who want to use /etc should
set LOCALBASE=/ is dodging the point.

I may very well want to collect a bunch of shareable stuff under
/usr/local (or /usr/pkg or whatever), but I tend to put non-shareable
configs under /etc and /var - makes sharing /usr/local (or whatever)
infinitely simpler.

> And all the .mk files are recommended reading, at _least_ once.

Thanks I've read (and modified) most of them :-)

--sjg