Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/11/1998 10:47:21
On Dec 10, Greg A. Woods wrote
> (When a >4GB disk costs <=$400[cdn], even as SCSI, there should be
> little, or no, need to share installed images across multiple
> non-diskless hosts -- just share /usr/pkgsrc/packages and do the
> installs on each machine!)

That's not a good argument. Having to install a package on every machine is
a pain.
What I do here for our student room is that I set up properly a machine
and then use rdist - this allows me to do even binary upgrades very easily,
and I have a centralised base for all these ~30 machines.
The result is that /usr/pkg is not shared, but it looks like it was.