Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/11/1998 01:07:42
cjs@cynic.net (Curt Sampson) write:

>2. We should have an /etc/rc.d directory, and the files in it should
>use the format that the packages use.

I mostly agree with Curts argumentation on this point.  I want to point
out nevertheless that the pkgs start/stop scripts should, in priciple,
be shareable.  I.e. they could just as well be installed in
/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d.

Independent form the /etc/rc restructuring, the pkgs start/stop scripts
should do the right thing for starting and stopping the daemons now.
(There are a lot that don't.  Some can't handle an argument of "stop",
even.)  And these scripts should be obey /etc/rc.conf until the
restructuring.  All of this IMHO, of course.  But this is a different
discussion.

--
Christoph Badura
Verlag O'Reilly