Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/10/1998 14:07:58
On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Christoph Badura wrote:

> I counted two votes in favor of /usr/pkg/var and two in favor of plain old
> /var.  But maybe I missed a message.

I'm very much in favour of /var.

> I don't really care much for the "pkg stuff being kept together".
> That's why we have PLIST and the /var/db/pkg database.  (I.e. so that you
> don't to rely on stuff being "physically close" in order to determine what
> belongs to what.)

I agree. In fact, as we move toward making our install sets into
things like packages, de-installing BIND 8 and installing a newer
(or older) version is going to do pkg-like things but with
/usr/sbin/named instead of /usr/pkg/sbin/named. Given the blurring
of lines between `NetBSD' stuff and `package' stuff, I think we
might as well at least try to preserve the meaning of the split
between /etc, /usr and /var.

Another option that occurs to me would be to put everything
package-related under /pkg, and then have that symlinked to an
appropriate place. Those who want package stuff strictly separated
could link /pkg -> /usr/pkg, and those who want it integrated could
symlink /pkg -> /. Any thoughts on the desirability and implications
of this?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.