Subject: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/09/1998 17:22:56
On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> - Configuration files are now in /usr/pkg/etc/httpd
>   (was /usr/pkg/http/conf) - SSL subdirectories are also here

Why are these in /usr/pkg/etc/httpd, rather than /etc/httpd? Do we
expect machines sharing /usr to be sharing httpd config files and
keys?

The whole concept of /usr/pkg/etc makes sense to me only for things
that don't change between systems, such as files to be called from
rc.local. We don't put ssh configuration files in /usr/pkg/etc; it
seems to me we shouldn't put other programs' configuration files
there either.

I'd be happy to make this change, if it's ok with everyone.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org