Subject: Re: Building from CDROM
To: Dan Herman <daniel.m.herman@lmco.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <azcb0@amdahl.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/16/1998 12:39:29
>   I have the NetBSD 1.3.2 CDROM set and would like to know if it is
> possible to build packages directly from the CDROM.  Or is it necessary
> to copy the required files to a writeable disk.  I apoligize if this
> information is available somewhere else, but I have spent a good amount
> of time searching for it already.  Any information, hints, references,
> etc... would be greatly appreciated.

For 1.3.2, I believe that you'll need to get a writable pkgsrc directory
hierarchy. That means either copying the older pkgsrc/ from the CDROM, or
by downloading the pkgsrc.tar.gz tar file from ftp.netbsd.org, which will
get you updated packages, as well as extra ones too. We make every attempt
to have pkgsrc supporting the last release and NetBSD-current.

Please note that, since September 1998, the pkgsrc directory hierarchy
can be mounted read-only. Not that this helps you much, but it might help
you in the future.

Take care,
Alistair