Subject: tclConfig.sh contains incorrect information
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/30/1998 09:12:11
Our lang/tcl80 package uses --disable-shared as a configure argument
and relies on libtool to handle the library building.  The consequence
of this is that the tclConfig.sh script, which is created directly by
configure, records TCL_SHARED_BUILD=0 (i.e., no shared libraries) even
on systems that make shared libraries, because configure follows the
arguments given.  This is a problem because tcl apps are supposed to
use this script to obtain configuration information.  If this script
says no shared library was made (even though one was), the app may
rightfully do the wrong thing.  My question is the following:

How can the correct value be put into tclConfig.sh so that it
corresponds to what libtool is actually doing?  Is there a way to use
libtool to rewrite tclConfig.sh after configuration so that the
correct value is substituted?  Is there another solution to getting
this variable set correctly?

I am not familiar enough with libtool to see the answer.

Any help appreciated.  If I get a little guidance on this, I'll work
up a patch.

Cheers,
Brook