Subject: Re: Whee
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/17/1998 11:55:38
Hello!

> Also, could someone explain to me the logic of using strings(1) to
> check the pkgtools date?  Couldn't you have at least used ident(1)?!

Yup, seems as ident would do a better job, but I let Al decide, maybe
there was something I don't see at the moment.

> Better yet, why not add an option to pkg_info to print out a version
> number?

I guess this is a chicken/egg problem - the purpose of the version check
is to find out if the user has old pkg_* tools from the 1.3.2 release.
There is no way to give those ppl a pkg_info with version-check first :)
At least one reason we do this check is to ensure that the user has a
pkg_info with the proper implementation of the -e regexp flag.

Thats how I understood things, I am sure Al corrects me if this is
wrong.

Greets
--
   Name  : Thorsten Frueauf            Milano@irc cri@onaliM       //