Subject: Re: pkg_add just toasted my entire home directory
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/11/1998 18:56:14
On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Markus Illenseer wrote:
> To my knowledge, the pkg_add in /usr/pkgsrc/ does fix your problem already.
>You are not the first having such issues.

  I'm glad it's fixed now.

> I do not know how to fix the problem for beginners. Maybe a big warning
>in the README of the -current packages? On the FTP-Server? Where would
>one read this warning actually? I know that I do not read README, and that
>the problem would struck me as well.

  I'm not sure how we'd get the word out...I think it's even worse, 'cause I'm
far from a beginner here...I've been using NetBSD on many platforms since the
very beginning; I read the lists, I follow the announcements, and I *still*
didn't know about this.

  I've been hearing rumblings about an upcoming 1.4 release...I'm hoping that
if that comes soon enough, and if it's announced with enough fanfare ("users
are urged to upgrade! everything is great! do this!") the problem will just go
away.

  Thanks for the info...

                          -Dave McGuire