Subject: USE_MOTIF lossage
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/20/1998 21:31:37
Ladies,

in case noone really realized, USE_MOTIF is utterly broken:

.if defined(USE_MOTIF)
.if exists(${X11BASE}/include/Xm/Xm.h)
RUN_DEPENDS+=           ${X11BASE}/include/Xm/Xm.h:../../x11/lesstif
.else
RUN_DEPENDS+=           ${PREFIX}/include/Xm/Xm.h:../../x11/lesstif
BUILD_DEPENDS+=         ${PREFIX}/include/Xm/Xm.h:../../x11/lesstif
.endif
.endif

1. Shouldn't this be X11BASE twice in RUN_DEPENDS?
2. what if someone has real Motif installed - RUN_DEPENDS will still cause
   /var/db/pkg/lesstiff-godknowswhatversionisinpkgsrcrightnow/+REQUIRED_BY
   to be updated (or at least attempted...). This will fail for both
   installing from source (bsd.pkg.mk) as well as binary pkgs (pkg_add).
3. If I have an older lesstif installed (I have 0.81), this will still go
   and happily try to register the one from pkgsrc-current (0.83 or so),
   which will if course fail as if I had Motif installed (see above).

#1 above should be fairly easy to fix, #2 & #3 are probably not, as that's
a problem of RUN_DEPENDS, not particularly affecting lesstif. If someone
can suggest what to do here, this would be a win.

For a start, I'd suggest we drop any support for "real" motif in pkgsrc,
and add support for what we can and have: lesstif (like we do with about
all other non-pkgsrc software, too).

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>