Subject: Re: pkgtools diffs
To: Alistair Crooks <azcb0@amdahl.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/27/1998 15:10:30
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> I'd like some feedback on the following diff to bsd.pkg.mk, and the new
> pkgtools category, and pkg_install package.

The way to determine if the pkg_* tools are out of date seem ok to me
(nice idea to work around having to store a version number somewhere by
using the Id string!), although this won't help people which do binary
installs. We'd need something better for them - maybe depend on
some pkg_install-pkg by every pkg *shiver*.

The problem that was mentioned by others - having two versions of the
tools - is something that bugs me too. Just install the new tools in
/usr/sbin and be done with it (maybe saving copies of the old tools).
Also, registering that pkg_install pkg doesn't make too much sense to me -
imagine someone eager to clean out his system goes and pkg_delete's the
pkg_install pkg. He'll have a good time recovering his system for new
pkgs.

 - Hubert

P.S.: I'm unsure moving pkg_* into a pkg now is a good thing or not, but
      with the suggested way, we could start makeing whole NetBSD pkgs. :)
--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>