Subject: Re: Machine-specific config dirs
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/13/1998 16:46:16
On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> I think you missed the point that perry doesn't care about:  pkgs using /etc
> are littering /etc, and there isn't a clean way of knowing what /etc files
> affect pkgs, and which ones are for the base system.
>
> I proposed /etc/pkg/... which doesn't preclude having them in /etc
> (obviously, they are in /etc).

Weeeell.....

Personally, I prefer to have them littering etc. I've found it very
helpful in instances where I upgrade an old version of a program
I compiled with a package, or vice versa. It keeps me from having
to move config files around.

Most of these files, I take it, are ones that the package system
would not be touching after the initial install away, and wouldn't
be removing on deinstall (unless their MD5 hashs are unchanged).

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates