Subject: Re: md5 checksums in pkg PLISTS
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/10/1998 07:08:43
On 10-Aug-98 Todd Vierling spoke unto us all:
#  This would have a better syntax with something like:
#
#  share/examples/pine.conf
#  @config etc/pine.conf

I like this.

#
#  Note the positional behavior of this:  you can specify the actual file which
#  will be in the PLIST, and then immediately after it specify where that
#  config goes--something like an implied %F.  This could even be interpreted
#  by pkgsrc and not directly understood by the pkg_* tools (pkgsrc could
#  translate into an @exec).

I don't like this.  I would want the pkg tools to be able to figure this out,
and on a deinstall *save the config somewhere*.  We don't have to be smart
about fixing it just yet.. that will come with time.. but for now.. just save
the pour soul's config file for him.. so you dont do things like I'm prone to
do which is "make install"  "oh crap".

#  Oh, btw, share/examples is where example config files should go.

Should and do aren't allways the same.. we are all human.. (I try my best
though! :)

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html