Subject: Re: md5 checksums in pkg PLISTS
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/10/1998 07:58:54
On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
> Truthfully, this should be fixed.  My opinion is that we should ship sample
> config files and copy them over to the real file names automatically - but
> only if such files do not already exist.  For example, the pine pkg could
> install /usr/pkg/share/examples/pine.conf and do:
>
> ===== pkg Makefile
>
> post-install:
> 	@[ -f ${PREFIX}/etc/pine.conf ] || \
> 		${CP} -p ${PREFIX}/share/examples/pine.conf ${PREFIX}/etc/
>
> ===== pkg PLIST
>
> share/examples/pine.conf
> @exec [ -f %D/etc/pine.conf ] || cp -p %F %D/etc/
>
> =====

We could also add some @config command to PLIST that does exactly this:
@conf %D/etc/pine.conf
and once more get all these automatic things that pkg_add does done
automatically at the end of "make install", too (possibly without
rewriting what needs to be in pkg_add in bsd.pkg.mk).

> This doesn't address when config file formats/intrinsics change, but that is
> difficult to impossible to deal with in any case.

yes, but it can still - in case of an upgrade - move the old file aside,
or make a backup of it, try to diff/apply them, ...

*sigh* So many pies in the skies... :-)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>