Subject: Re: md5 checksums in pkg PLISTS
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/09/1998 21:54:15
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: > At least the pine pkg will overwrite your config file.  I like the
: > packages that just install an example config file for me.  But for
: > pine we seem to change some of the defaults?

I should /really/ fix this.

: I don't know about the particular case of pine, but the general idea is to
: (at least) install a config file if the pkg needs it to run, so things go
: (to a certain extent) without any manyal user interaction.

Truthfully, this should be fixed.  My opinion is that we should ship sample
config files and copy them over to the real file names automatically - but
only if such files do not already exist.  For example, the pine pkg could
install /usr/pkg/share/examples/pine.conf and do:

===== pkg Makefile

post-install:
	@[ -f ${PREFIX}/etc/pine.conf ] || \
		${CP} -p ${PREFIX}/share/examples/pine.conf ${PREFIX}/etc/

===== pkg PLIST

share/examples/pine.conf
@exec [ -f %D/etc/pine.conf ] || cp -p %F %D/etc/

=====

This doesn't address when config file formats/intrinsics change, but that is
difficult to impossible to deal with in any case.