Subject: Re: MySQL Running as Ingres
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/08/1998 17:14:20
Hi Curt,

hope you had a nice holiday? :)

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Curt Sampson wrote:
> > > Um, abusing ingres for mysql seems a bit bad. Either use a general
> > > "database" user (db, whatever), or use a "mysql" login.
> Ok; I'd like to set up a general database user. I was using ingres for
> this purpose until now.

Um, don't do this.
IIRC, we've aggreed to use one user per database, to prevent one thing
(maybe via some DoS or accident or whatever) thrash the others. See the
postgres pkg for an example of a pkg creating its own user.

> Yes. Also, I'm not sure that the databases themselves should go in
> /var; it's the sort of thing that can get quite large (which on
> many systems /var isn't sized to handle), and they certainly don't
> fall into the category of `log, temporary, transient and spool
> files.' What about under /usr/pkg/mysql?

Ewww - rather /usr/pkg/db/mysql, plus make it settable somewhere. (If you
need a user for this, why not make the db end up in ~mysq - but be sure
this is outside of $LOCALBASEl).

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>