Subject: Package Variants
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/07/1998 17:10:14
Well, the php3 vs. ap-php3 naming issue didn't seem to make any
progress while I was away on holidays. This actually brings up a
more general issue about what to do about packages that can be
configured different ways. I'm thinking now that the easiest thing
to do (if not the most economical on disk space) is to just have
separate pacakges:

    php3	CGI version
    ap-php3	Apache module version

This, of course, means that those of us compiling it end up having
two full copies of the source tree around, and there are two separate
things to update when a new version comes out.

Is there some better way to go at this?

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates