Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/07/1998 16:29:53
On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Christoph Badura wrote:

> However, installing packages and configuring them are orthogonal activities.
> The package system should deal with installing packages only, IMHO.
> If you want to make it easy for users to install _and_ configure packages,
> we should provide a system configuration utility like the ones the Linux
> distributions use and that utility should handle the task of configuring
> the packages (and install the software if it's not already installed).

I agree with this. This would also give us the ability to change
the configuration after the install time, which is essential for
a truly user friendly system anyway. (You should be able to turn
off the web server without completely deinstalling it.)

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates