Subject: Re: Dealing with "secret" subdirectories on the MASTER_SITE
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/07/1998 08:47:51
On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
> : In fact, krb5 seems to have changed to a form-based interface from the one
> : I seem to recall.  Ick.
>
> Then you'll end up fetching 'http://.../something.cgi?key=val&key=val'...
> sound like fun?  8->

It's not that bad. ftp://athena-dist.mit.edu/pub/kerberos/ still
contains the files, and searching the README.KRB5-1.0.5 file for the
line that says

	1) Change into the directory '/pub/kerberos/[SECRET]'

still works, just the way the FreeBSD package does it.

> There's only one NetBSD pkg thus far that uses such a fetch method.  In
> general, we try to avoid putting in functionality that <4 pkgs will use,
> even if just for simplicity's sake in bsd.pkg.mk.  That file is over 50k,
> and growing by the minute....

We will soon have two such packages (rsaref and krb5).  I can easily
imagine more being added.  I worry about private versions of do-fetch
rules getting out of sync with the one in bsd.pkg.mk; for example, the
part of bsd.pkg.mk's do-fetch rule that reports on broken symlinks doesn't
appear in security/rsaref/Makefile's version of do-fetch (although this is
unlikely to cause trouble for anybody).

On the other hand, perhaps we could just fetch the distfiles from non-US
sites in cases like this.  Most of these export-restricted things manage
to appear on non-US sites sooner or later.

--apb (Alan Barrett)