Subject: Re: Dealing with "secret" subdirectories on the MASTER_SITE
To: Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/06/1998 20:48:42
On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Alan Barrett wrote:

: > * It should probably use libtool.  I'm not familiar with libtool, so I
: >   didn't do that myself.

I am in the USA, so I should be able to look into it and libtoolize it.  I
didn't see the original post - can you send me the location of the pkg?

I plan on making the docs for libtool much easier to understand.  Explaining
it to Tim Rightnour cleared it all up in my own head, and I think we both
fully understand it now.  :>

: > * I couldn't find any simple method of having make automatically
: >   retrieve the distribution files.  I had to get those by hand.
:
: The Makefile in NetBSD's security/rsaref package has a special
: "do-fetch" rule to deal with the "secret" subdirectory.

This is the kind of method that really should be used.  Make note of the
blank "fetch-list" rule - this is very important, as the rule _must_
succeed, but you can't give any useful information in a case like this.

: Would it make sense to put that logic into bsd.pkg.mk?

No.  There's way too many ways of having this information hidden on a site.
(Think HTTP forms.  ;)  It's easier just to let each pkg deal with it.