Subject: re: Possible new category "cross"?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/03/1998 09:29:22
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, matthew green wrote:

: i really don't see any reason to change the GNU layout, except
: to confuse users!  the cross compiler tools have always had the
: same layout -- why change it?

I'm actually only changing two things: the prefix (to ${PREFIX}/cross) and
the "libsubdir" (to keep the gcc-lib stuff out of ${PREFIX}/lib, and keep it
with everything else instead of some other remote directory).  Basically,
everything else stays the same.

: please do *not* randomly change things like this.

Please, Matt, don't patronize me.  I've used this layout in a non-pkg format
for _three_years_ now and have had no problems with it.  It keeps everything
well organized and doesn't even require a patch to Makefiles.  It also
addresses the "too much junk in ${PREFIX}/lib" argument in a very clean way.

I'm not randomly changing the layout.  Hell, I could go as far as to say
that the "gcc-lib" directory should be named "libdata", or split it up as
per hier(7).  It just seemed that this layout was the cleanest, most
organized, and least deviant from the GNU layout all at once.