Subject: Re: use of share vs lib
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/03/1998 07:50:16
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

: > : And btw, it MUST leave those files in /etc/ for configuration reasons.
: >
: > That's not necessarily true.  I was always of the opinion that we should
: > have adopted FreeBSD's convention of putting them in ${PREFIX}/etc - after
: > all, everything else has its config info there, so why not ssh?
:
: Because it might _want_ to have different configuration from machine
: to machine. E.g., wether you share /etc/ssh_known_hosts or not is an
: administrative decision... if you want to share it, write that
: decision into /etc/ssh{,d}_config.

That's just my point:  why is ssh the exception to the rule, when there are
enough pkgs out there that _also_ should want, or even "might want,"
per-machine configuration?  Ssh goes through hoops to install stuff directly
in /etc when it's not the only pkg that may want that; if someone wants
per-machine configuration, the better solution is to symlink /usr/pkg/etc
elsewhere so that _all_ programs can be per-machine configured.

(Again, /etc/pkg comes to mind.)