Subject: Possible new category "cross"?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/01/1998 20:09:49
I have a somewhat working framework for building various cross compiler pkgs
based on binutils 2.9.1 and egcs-current.  It uses shared pkg-Makefile
fragments, patches, md5 fragments, and PLIST fragments to keep as much
common stuff together as possible.

Before I actually start adding this to pkgsrc, I'd like to propose adding a
new category for all of it:  "cross".  All pkgs in cross would also be pkgs
for the "lang" category, but the cross subdirectory of pkgsrc would be only
for cross-development pkgs.

time, though the subdirectory name of pkgsrc would be just
"sparc-netbsd13".  Unless the pkg uses a special compiler setup as an
alternative to the regular binutils/egcs setup, it will use this naming
convention (so, DJGPP becomes "i386-go32").

The package version number would reflect either some kind of build number
(as in the case of Linux or NetBSD), or a packaging version number (such as
for DJGPP, which would use the DJGPP version number).

to the appropriate program (cc, as, ld, and so forth), and the actual
programs, includes, and libraries would be held underneath
pkgs would install manpages or .info files unless they are different from
the "standard" egcs documentation set (which may become its own pkg).