Subject: Re: use of share vs lib
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 13:24:45
It occurred to me again why I disklike /var for HS's and why I also am unsure
about the idea of putting db files in /usr/pkg/{etc,var}

Look at a pkg like ssh.  It installs a bunch of binaries, then generates it's
magical key, and installs config files in /etc.  If these went into
/usr/pkg/etc, then I would have to devise some sort of wierd symlink tree like
Todd mentioned, in order to get things right for my multiple machines.  In
addition, it certainly isn't going to generate all the little keyfiles for 9
machines out of the box..

With the pkg dirs in /var, I can run to each machine, install ssh, and get the
/etc stuff that I need placed there.  With a single db dir shared.. I'm going
to have alot of trouble doing this.

Not that *either* way is a very clean approach to it.. but putting things in
/usr/pkg/etc forces someone to create a symlink trick or something (which we
don't supply) and is slightly less than intuitive.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html