Subject: Re: use of share vs lib
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 12:45:57
On 31-Jul-98 Perry E. Metzger spoke unto us all:
#  Tim Rightnour writes:
# > I've been compiling a ton of games lately (if you haven't noticed) and have
# > been placing scorfiles and datafiles in $(X11BASE)/share.  However, it
# > occurs
# > to me that a few older pkgs, and some other non-game stuff is using lib.
#
#  I won't express an opinion on data files, but score files belong in
#  /var.

Are we sure we want to pollute var like that?

Another issue here might be complexity..  It can be done.. don't get me wrong..
but now we have to do things like patch programs that have a generic DATA_DIR
cpp define and make them all use our own SCORE_DIR define.  I suppose having
them in /var isn't so terrible.. though it does make scorefiles unshareable
across machines..  and now you would have to manually touch /var files in order
to run the game from NFS..

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html