Subject: Re: xpkgwedge vs. USE_X11 vs. ?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 12:38:09
On 31-Jul-98 Todd Vierling spoke unto us all:
#  On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
# : Well, didn't you say we get dependencies on xpkgwedge for all X pkgs
# : anyways? So why care for a case where it's not installed?
#
#  Because not all X pkgs have USE_X11, which is what I was asking about.
#  Should we just add the flag to all X-dependent pkgs, and X pkgs would always
#  install in /usr/X11R6 on non-xpkgwedge systems?  That way we wouldn't have
#  to split USE_X11 into "this pkg uses X" and "this pkg should be installed
#  with X" flags.  Just using USE_X11 on all X pkgs seems cleaner.
#

The problem which brought this up, is tk80 and tcl80.  Everyone (including
myself) wants them installed in /usr/pkg (tcl belongs there, and tk needs to
find it in it's hierarchy).  However, tk needs X to install, and blows up
without it.  The problem with USE_X11 dictating both the need for X and the
install into it is we break wierd cases like this one.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html