Subject: Re: xpkgwedge vs. USE_X11 vs. ?
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 10:18:41
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: No doubt the possibility to do so is a good thing - but I wonder what the
: results of that are. Where do we expect lesstif to be installed -
: LOCALBASE or X11BASE? Does this matter?

PREFIX, whatever that happens to be.  (Depends on the setting of
USE_LOCALBASE_FOR_X11.)

: > - If a pkg is making use of X11 and needs to get to the X11 includes and
: >   libraries, it will use ${X11BASE} to get there.
:
: Good thing - should have been done all the time...!
: Who'll fix our pkgsrc tree? >:)

I'll "xpkgwedge-lint" for it all.  Manually.  8-)  I have some other linting
to do anyway (mipsel, --host=MACHINE_GNU_ARCH--netbsd, for example).

: > - If a pkg needs to get to pkg-installed includes and libraries, including
: >   Motif, it will use BOTH ${X11BASE} and ${LOCALBASE} to get there.

: Hum - do we use PREFIX then at all? Or just steer clear of it, and, use
: LOCALBASE everywhere, and just use X11BASE when we need to get to X stuff?

Actually, let me clarify a bit.  You should use PREFIX to refer to the pkg's
own installation, which is of course always correct.  However, when
constructing arguments to the compiler to find includes and libraries, you
should only use X11BASE (or both X11BASE and LOCALBASE) to ensure that you
get the Right directories, no matter whether the library dependency was
installed in X11BASE or LOCALBASE.

: > Two different variables would help here - one that just says "uses X11" and
: > one that says "needs to be installed with X11 distribution directories," if
: > xpkgwedge were not in use.  The latter would probably be needed most for
: > pkgs which install includes and libraries.
:
: The latter's what's already in bsd.pkg.mk (but not in pkg_add) to stop
: things happening if there's no X installed.

Right, but there's a chunk of pkgs that couldn't care less to be in
/usr/X11R6, regardless of whether xpkgwedge is in the system.  Should we
just use USE_X11 for all of them, and put all X-using pkgs in /usr/X11R6 (if
xpkgwedge isn't installed)?  This could be cleaner to do it that way.