Subject: Re: use of share vs lib
To: None <root@garbled.net>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@ox.mines.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 06:27:10
On 7 31, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> I've been compiling a ton of games lately (if you haven't noticed) and have
> been placing scorfiles and datafiles in $(X11BASE)/share.  However, it occurs
> to me that a few older pkgs, and some other non-game stuff is using lib.
>
> It seems like we should standardize this behavior in some way.  I personally
> vote for the use of share.

  Use share for machine independent (generally plain ascii) files, and use
libdata for machine dependent files.  lib should be reserved exclusively
for code libraries.

  Now, here's a puzzle for you: where should perl's "library" go?  Most of the
files are machine independent (perl source and man pages), but some are
machine dependent.  However, the machine dependent files are (or can be
configured to be) kept in explicitly machine dependent subdirectories, which
the perl executables know about.  So the perl library tree _can_ perfectly
well be shared among machines of varying architectures, and could quite
reasonably be installed in share.  However, it's installed in lib instead,
polluting that tree needlessly.