Subject: Re: use of share vs lib
To: Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 08:13:07
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Alan Barrett wrote:

: BTW, hier(7) does not document the convention that the whole of /usr
: (except for /usr/{local,pkg}/etc) should be shareable across multiple
: machines of the same architecture via read-only mounts, and that
: /usr{/local,/pkg,}/share should be shareable across multiple machines of
: different architectures via read-only mounts.

The convention for "share" is, I believe, documented, but probably not in
hier(7).

The convention for /usr is coincidental at best; it's definitely not true
that /usr/X11R6 is shareable, and /usr/{local,pkg}/etc is somewhat annoying
to say the least.  Fortunately, I came up with an easy way of fixing that
for my uses:  my /usr/pkg/etc is a symlink to /etc/pkg, a different
directory on each machine.  (For ease of sharing, I also symlinked
/usr/pkg/share to /usr/share/pkg.  8-)