Subject: Re: use of share vs lib
To: root@garbled.net, Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/1998 12:15:39
On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 03:08:06AM -0700, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> On 31-Jul-98 Ignatios Souvatzis spoke unto us all:
> #  shareable datafiles (e.g., text format, or with defined endianness etc.):
> #  share
>
> I agree.. most of what I'm talking about here are level files supplied with the
> game, soundfiles, xpms, scorfiles, conf files.. etc etc..
>
> #  nonshareable datafiles (e.g., binary format with whatever edndianesses or
> #  long sizes or float formats happen to be around):
> #
> #  libdata
>
> libdata would be an *excellent* place for someone to sit down and *fix* things
> like fvwm which install *binaries* into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm

allow me to dissent.

If we really want to fix _that_ (which is somehow documented, at least
per precedent, by X11) binaries that are executed by other binaries
only go into libexec.

> This is what we need to document..  what goes where, and why..

man hier says:

                libexec/  system daemons & system utilities (executed by other
                          programs)

                pkg/      packages maintained by groups other than Berkeley
                          bin/      contributed binaries
                          sbin/     contributed system utilities
                          include/  contributed include files
                          libexec/  contributed daemons