Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/24/1998 18:05:24
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
> : > Log Message:
> : > Directory /cvsroot/pkgsrc/www/php3 added to the repository
> : Um, why include some version number in the pkg name?

Because it's different from PHP2, and those who have to support
both PHP2 and PHP3 may have both of them installed at the same
time. (This is why PHP3 uses .php3 as the file extension; .php is
already taken by php2.)

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> > We have a convention that I invented for Apache modules: ap-MODULENAME.

Indeed, and this sort of crossed my mind. However, php3 can also
be set up as a CGI program, and would be for non-apache servers.
This got me to thinking about configuration of these things. We
can have the shared apache module or CGI version, and we've got
the ability to support (or not support) about a dozen different
database systems. I've compiled in MySQL support, but not Postgres
or mSQL or Oracle or Sybase or....

Wondering how to deal with this multiplicity of configuration
options started to get me confused, at which point, since I'm about
to leave town for a week and a half, I just committed the damn
thing in the hope that someone else would generate a wonderful
solution to all of this.

So I'm open to suggestions on this front. What I happen to need is
a system so that I can easily and quickly get Apache, MySQL and
PHP3 up and running on a server (preferably with the pkg_add
commands). This helps that out quite a lot, but doesn't solve other
problems. The module vs. CGI thing can be solved by creating both
www/php3 and www/ap-php3 with different config options, if people
feel we should go that way, but that doesn't help with the database
problem. Perhaps we need to be creating ap-php3-mysql, ap-php3-msql,
ap-php3-postgres, etc? Do we go on to ap-php3-mysql-postgres?

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates