Subject: the NAS (network audio server) package [audio/nas] vs. NetBSD
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/20/1998 00:10:51
I was happy to see the NAS package appear in the pkgsrc collection and
have been happily using it to send audio to my NCD HMX terminal.

However I now have an audio capable Sparcstation on my desk, running
NetBSD/sparc, and am dismayed to find that the NAS port is incomplete --
it doesn't seem to support the standard NetBSD audio(4) device interface
for the server portion.  It does compile the VOXware server just fine
(by default), but it fails to run.

Cursory examination of the NAS voxware server support suggests that it
should work with most any Linux or FreeBSD system, but it would appear
that it needs several devices that I don't have:

	/dev/pcaudio
	/dev/dsp1
	/dev/dsp
	/dev/pcdsp

Linking /dev/audio to /dev/pcaudio is not sufficient.

However going on a hint from elsewhere I created another link from
/dev/sound to /dev/dsp.

This got it partly working.  The aupanel and audemo volume controls have
no effect, the sound comes out at full volume and very distorted.  If I
try to change the "Input mode" to "Microphone", the server dumps core:

00:00 [77] # gdb ./auvoxware
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16 (sparc-netbsd), Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) run -aa
Starting program: /big1/work/woods/NetBSD-pkgsrc/audio/nas/work/nas-1.2p5/server/./auvoxware -aa
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
0x10071248 in _oss_ioctl ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x10071248 in _oss_ioctl ()
#1  0x10070070 in _oss_ioctl ()
#2  0x11da0 in setPhysicalInputGainAndLineMode ()
#3  0xadb8 in AuSetInputGainAndLineMode ()
#4  0x40f8 in ProcAuSetDeviceAttributes ()
#5  0xba38 in Dispatch ()
#6  0x2d00 in main ()

Does this thing work on any other platforms?  Should I try hacking the
NAS Sun server support into operation (which seems more in line with
audio(4))?  Has anyone got any patches?  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>