Subject: Re: Packages replacing NetBSD commands
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/16/1998 15:28:26
On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> : We're talking about merging the NetAtalk userland support into the tree.
>
> Just of curiosity - is the reason for bringing it in-tree, instead of into a
> pkg, because there's a ~large number of changes to make it work with NetBSD?
>
> Instead of integrating YAPS (yet another protocol suite), with more source
> to CVS-merge, IMHO it would be better as a pkg except for the reason above.
> That doesn't preclude the gripe that sysinst doesn't install pkgs yet...  :>

The thought was that, since we ship w/ Netatalk kernel support, we should
ship with Netatalk userland support. Also, Netatalk is a much more useful
and widely used protocol than the other non-IP ones we support. So it's
not like we're throwing in something which only three people will use.

Take care,

Bill