Subject: Re: Revisiting the tk80 issue
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/16/1998 15:14:32
On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Markus Illenseer wrote:

: > xpkgwedge wouldn't "need" these include and lib definitions, but it wouldn't
: > hurt xpkgwedge, either.
:
:  Just what is xpkgwedge? Sounds like a package installation tool?

xpkgwedge is a little pkg (see pkgsrc/x11/spkgwedge) that is intended to
allow X-related pkgs to install in /usr/pkg and still be able to happily
find their fonts, app-defaults, X libraries, etc.

It's still in development, and doesn't work with everything yet.  The base
design of How It Works is being reconsidered, too, but the goal is still the
same.

:  I forgot we had those already. How about reminding/offering to the user
: that he can alter the installation target when installing specific
: packages using pkg_add?

You can't reliably offer to a user the option to change installation prefix
at pkg_add time - binary pkgs have the base path hard-coded into the
binaries.  How many things to you know of that do a:

#define MYLIBDIR "@@PREFIX@@/lib/mydir/%s"

?  It's actually a _lot_.