Subject: Re: super-pkgs...
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/15/1998 12:43:34
Herb Peyerl writes:
> Ok... Comments?

I think super packages are possibly a good idea, but we have many
other more pressing problems in the package system that need to be
fixed before we can think of this effectively. For example, right now,
I can't type a command to check that all my packages continue to be
installed undamaged, and we have no proper way of dealing with
versioning of individual packages.

I think these two problems, especially versioning, would actively
interfere with the development of super packages. We probably need to
get the package tools cleaned up a bit before we can implement them.

That said, I believe discussing the *design* for super packages and
what we might want out of them would be a good thing right now, as it
might motivate some fixes to the package tools.

Perry