Subject: RE: adding Xaw3d
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/15/1998 07:39:57
On 15-Jul-98 Perry E. Metzger spoke unto us all:
#
#  I just committed the xcolorsel package, which uses the athena widgets.
#
#  If I wanted it to use Xaw3d, what would the proper hacks to the
#  package be?

This is something I've brought up before.  Right now our pkg system handles
this poorly.

If I was building this by hand.. I would just change the -lXaw to -lXaw3d (or
-lXaw-Xpm if that was my preference)

however, if you make a pkg that uses the Xaw3d widget, you force the user to
make that choice.  For someone like me, who wants Xaw-Xpm widgets.. it's
slightly annoying.. For someone with low mem or a pissy video card, you force
them to use a server hog widget set.  There really needs to be a way we can
deal with optional dependencies.  I don't really have any good ideas though..

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html