Subject: RE: Things That Suck About pkgsrc
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/15/1998 07:31:16
On 13-Jul-98 Charles M. Hannum spoke unto us all:
#    * There is no distinction between `GUI libraries' and `X
#      applications' (whereas tty-based display libraries go in `devel').

I would really like to add a number of categories.. things like:
xlibs, netapps, etc etc come to mind.

#    * There are applications stuck in the x11 directory simply because
#      they use X.  E.g., x3270 really ought to be in `net', or something
#      like a `mainframe support' category.

If we are going to have an x11 category, then everything that has an x11
dependency should be in there.  Otherwise we either need to sub-categorize x11
(net,games,blah blah) or break everything out and get rid of x11 almost
completely.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html