Subject: super-pkgs...
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/15/1998 06:51:32
As we discussed in icb this morning, the idea for super-packages was brought
up and seemed to be regarded as a 'good idea'..

The idea is that there should be some meta-packages that define a collection
of packages, that when put together, end up building a sort of single-function
machine.

For example:

	make news-server

		Would build:

			inn

		And point to a post-install document that outlines how to
		continue the setup. Maybe even asks who your feeders are,
		and so forth. Or even just points to the relevant resources
		on how to properly setup a news-server.

	make pc-file-server

		Would build:
			Samba
			NetAtalk bins (these should be in the tree)
			misc/amanda

		And ask you some simple questions like:
			what is your workgroup
			what filesystems do you want to export.
			what printers are on your machine?
			what printers do you want to export?

	make web-server

		Would build:
			apache
			apache/SSL (?)
			lynx
			glimpse
			optionally ask if you want the frontpage extensions

	make firewall

		Can of worms.

	make desktop/kde

		Would build:
			kde
			catdoc
			archivers/*
			audio/mpg123
			audio/sox
			audio/x*
			comms/minicom
			comms/kermit
			comms/pilot-link
			emulators/linux-lib
			emulators/wine
			graphics/gimp
			graphics/x*
			mail/exmh
			mail/nmh
			mail/elm
			mail/metamail
			mail/pine
			mail/procmail
			mbone
			net/ircII
			net/ncftp2
			net/xarchie
			print/a2ps
			print/ghostscript5
			print/lyx
			print/gv
			print/transfig
			security/ssh
			shells/tcsh
			shells/bash2
			x11/justabouteverything

Also, there's the possibility of sending people to the kernel config building
URL, either on www.netbsd.org or locally in pkgsrc or something, perhaps even
seeding it with things that are specific to the class of machine being
created (raised NMBCLUSTERS, NKMEMCLUSTER, etc)... In the future, we might
have some sort of utility that will generate at least a partial config file
based on dmesg from a GENERIC booted machine, add that plus the stuff seeded
by the pkgsrc, and the kernel-build-lab should be able to build a decent
kernel, bring it back, and reboot the machine...

Ok... Comments?