Subject: Re: Compiling ncurses?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/14/1998 09:25:36
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Dave Millen wrote:
> > > cd ncurses; make   INSTALL_PREFIX="" all
> > > gawk -f ./MKnames.awk ./../include/Caps
> > > gawk: illegal option -- f
> > > usage: cat [-benstuv] [-] [file ...]
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop.
> > >
> > Any Hints? I have tried removing the -f from the generated Makefiles in ncurses,
> > but it then fails later saying that it can't find files.
>
> Hum, NetBSD doesn't ship with gawk, so it seems ncurses wants to be smart
> (again... :-/). This doesn't explain the cat-error-msg, though.

actually, NetBSD does ship with gawk (although its an old one) and it gets
called simply 'awk' instead of 'gawk'

dan@dinah-moe (250)-% awk --version
Gnu Awk (gawk) 2.15, patchlevel 6

(This is the awk that came with NetBSD-1.3).  Note gawk is at version
3.something these days).  It should like the -f flag.

You may try

% which gawk
and
% gawk --version

to figure out what gawk is getting called and then just try

% gawk -f ./MKnames.awk ./../include/Caps

by hand to see if it works.  If you don't have gawk, change to
% awk -f ./MKnames.awk ./../include/Caps

Dan