Subject: Re: Changing the way xpkgwedge works
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/12/1998 02:03:46
On Sat, 11 Jul 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
> - bsd.pkg.mk would honor a new mk.conf flag, USE_LOCALBASE_FOR_X11, which
>   when set would keep ${PREFIX} equal to ${LOCALBASE} even when building
>   X11 pkgs.

Argh, please not. Not yet another variable.
This is getting way out of control. esp. as there 's no documentation on
all this any more (Packages.txt, portlint). Besides that... Wasn't the
whole goal of xpkgwedge to leave PREFIX at LOCALBASE anyways?

> - portlint would be patched to catch any pkg trying to use ${LOCALBASE} or
>   ${X11BASE} as part of anything but a -I or -L statement in both the pkg
>   Makefile and the pkg patches

*nod*

> Modifying xpkgwedge isn't a problem, but I'd like some opinions from the
> official pkg folks as to modifying bsd.pkg.mk and portlint as described
> above.

I guess I said it before: xpkgwedge and the changes you propose do quite
some changes to the wohle pkgsrc tree, and until all is ironed out, I'd
rather not see any lossage in pkgsrc that's due to this. Thinks like
doing full pkgsrc builds & branches (if you really need it...) come to my
mind.

> (Incidentally, regarding portlint: it should check patches to make sure they
> follow our guidelines, i.e. one patch per file and unified diff format.
> Converting context->unified I can make a script for....)

I wouldn't put too much enforcement on the patch format, it's not _that_
important, imho. There are just too many areas portline doesn't know of
at all (CONFLICTS? etc.; I just don't know - you see what I mean?) that
would be better to have in portlint, or Packages.txt.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>